Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter Leftovers: Rotini with Lamb Ragu



On Easter Monday, there was about half a pound of leftover succulent lamb meat from the previous night's feast. The best use of leftovers, as always, is pasta. I took the lamb along with the what was left of the gravy out the fridge to come up to room temperature. In the mean time, I diced up a zucchini, an onion and some garlic, frizzled them in a bit of oil till they were tender, then added them, along with the lamb (chopped up into bitesized chunks) and lamb gravy into my pressure cooker. To that I added a tin of tomatoes, a few sprigs of thyme and a few bay leaves. On goes the pressure cooker lid to bubble and hiss away for half an hour. Once done, I opened 'er up to find everything had broken down into a tender and terribly complex tasting ragu. I served it on rotini with a crumble of salty sheep's milk feta, a scattering of dried chilies and a chiffonade of mint. Simple to make, yet sophisticated in taste. I will revisit this recipe and use a braised lamb shoulder with harissa paste---and skip the Easter dinner: go straight to leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment