Saturday, June 23, 2012

What to cook after a tooth extraction

The other day I had all my wisdom teeth removed. My greatest fear was losing my sense of taste - a rare, but distinctly possible side effect that occurs if there is damage to a nerve that runs along the jaw during the procedure. Happily, everything worked out fine. However for several days, I have had to prepare food that was soft and baby-food-like. This kind of challenge is just the thing I go for. Instead of being knocked out by the surgery, I've had a strange nervous energy for the past two days - so I was cooking up a storm. 

Day one was scrambled eggs. I'm not talking about North American-style scramble that has had all the moisture cooked out of it. No, this is barely coagulated and oozing butter. Almost custard like,  it flows like risotto, and somehow appropriately, is cooked similarly; low and slow with lots of stirring with a wooden spoon. For dinner, mashed spuds and a chicken liver pâté - probably the most flavourful mush anyone could ever eat. Organic chicken livers, pureed with bread crumbs, cream, some sweated onions, a generous glug of ruby port, fresh herbs and spices makes the base for this recipe. I layered the liver with some black pudding so that there was a dark seam running through the pâté and I slowly baked it, wrapped in bacon, in a bain marie in the oven. I didn't actually eat the bacon (the chewy meat would reek havoc in my tender gums). The bacon is there to keep everything inside succulent and moist. I would love to spread this on toast, but toast is a no-no, so pâté and mash. Deelish. 

Finally I made a sort of chickpea stew using excellent dried chickpeas I picked up in the market last week. About 45 minutes in my pressure cooker with some stock, bay leaves and star anise, and I had a comforting and slightly exotic stew. I also braised some lovely baby eggplants (thinking they would be soft and apropos to my situation), however, upon finding that the eggplant seeds bothered my gums, I stored them for another day. 

No written recipes today - I am recovering from surgery for crying out loud, so I should be resting and not blogging. More to come when my mouth recovers. 

1 comment:

  1. It is definitely hard to think that one will not be able to taste their food, especially if you are a food lover. Good thing nothing sort of that happened to you. And I think you truly know how to take care of yourself after the procedure. Yes, soft food is in order for any patient after any procedure. Hard to bite delicacies might damage the treated area and infect the gums. But anyone can have their taste of delicious food once the area is healed.

    ReplyDelete